Saturday, June 27, 2015

In transition

In August, my son is starting Montessori school. It's an "orientation" program for toddlers, and I know it will be a great environment for my inquisitive, social, active little boy. But transitioning from being with him full time to sending him off to school for the day will be tough. And it's got me thinking about all the ways I've been in transition in the last few years, because there are many, many ways.

(Warning: this is long and probably self indulgent, but this is my blog, dammit, and hopefully it's worth reading).

The cascade of transitions really started in 2009, when I was laid off from my job as a newspaper reporter on the Texas-Mexico border after nearly five years. That was the first domino that fell. I then moved from the border (finally--it was long past time) back to my hometown and moved in with--gasp--my parents. It was mid-recession, and finding another job was tough, so I spent 9 months applying for jobs, working on obtaining my teaching certification, and feeling adrift. I finally found a writing job at a university in the nearby big city, and I moved to a new apartment and started a new job. Another transition. (Plus I broke up with a boyfriend, because apparently I needed all the major life changes to happen at once).

Just a couple of months after moving, I met the man who would become my husband. More dominoes of change. A year and a half later, I was laid off again after budget cuts at the college. Eric and I got engaged, we moved to a new house, and I started another new job. And then things got really hairy.

Hitting rock bottom
In the midst of it all, I was experiencing chronic depression and anxiety that had crept up as the first dominoes fell. As I lost my job in journalism and the career to which I had devoted several years of my life, I lost my sense of purpose. And it showed. I didn't do so well in the university job, hampered by constant existential anxiety and sadness. I felt lost. So when I started another job, actually in journalism, I had trouble keeping up with the frantic pace as the anxiety became more overwhelming, having taken on a life of its own. So one day, I overslept a bit, was late arriving at work and late on a deadline, and I was fired. Then the dominoes really started to fall.

The depression began to completely overtake me, but I tried to slog on. I got another job in corporate communications and struggled to keep up with the expectations when I could hardly get out of bed in the morning or concentrate at the office. I was put on a performance improvement plan, which as a past overachiever I found profoundly embarrassing, and then I lost that job too.

I was devastated. I cried for days and days, humiliated and defeated. Would I be able to pull myself out of this hole and function again? Would anyone ever give me a chance again? I felt like I had a scarlet F, for fired, on my chest. It was a dark time.

New career, new challenges
I crawled out slowly after some professional help with the depression. I took a part-time job as a tutor, and decided to finish the endeavor I started after being laid off at the newspaper--my teaching certification. I started my student teaching at a prestigious high school, and from that experience I was quickly hired at one of the best high schools in the district. That eased some of the shame I felt about all my failures, but I still felt a lot of anxiety about proving myself. Somewhere amid all this, my husband and I agreed to try for a baby. And just like that, I was pregnant.

So that meant I started my first full year in a new profession--a notoriously demanding one at an especially demanding school--while pregnant with my first child. I advise STRONGLY against being pregnant and completing your first year of teaching at the same time! But I got through it, and even got good reviews from my appraiser. However, I was completely and utterly burned out. (I also had a child and went on maternity leave in the middle of it, so the exhaustion was all encompassing throughout the year). I spent every weekend, every night, buried in piles of essays to grade. Crazy late-work policies at the school made my job even harder. So after my son was born, I decided I was not willing to sacrifice all my free time and sanity for teaching anymore. I had to have time and energy left over for him. I felt guilty about leaving because I thought that teaching could potentially be a calling for me, like journalism was, but in this form it was too much. I couldn't live out a calling if I was bereft and burned out. I decided to stay home with him for the next school year.

What now?
And now, here we are. I haven't worked outside the home for exactly one year. I've taken occasional freelance writing projects, but my daily life is mostly consumed with keeping a toddler happy and healthy. I have cherished this time and been drained by this time all at once. I will never regret focusing on him exclusively for this year, even if it's been hard and lonely at times. But the plan was always for me to return to work, and that's why we applied for Montessori school. In less than two months, everything will change. He will begin new adventures, and I ... don't know. I feel this pressure to hurry up and just find a job, any job, but I also know this is a turning point. This is an opportunity for me to choose a direction that is truly right for me, that encompasses the experience I have, the passions I have, and the desire to have balance. But to really, enthusiastically brave my own path, I have to forgive myself for my missteps and have faith in myself again. And I have to choose a direction already.

I'm seriously considering launching my own freelance writing business--pursuing freelance work full time--while volunteering as a tutor or mentor. I'm dragging my feet on looking for teaching jobs because I don't want to end up in the same situation, and the jobs I have interviewed for would have been even more demanding than my first one was. In my ideal world, I'd be writing, teaching, and pursuing my arts interests (theatre, music) all at once, while also having time for my family. I know it's unrealistic to think I can do these all at once. But maybe I can at least bring those things more into my life, on my own terms? Can I turn that into a steady paycheck? So many questions.

I realize I am deeply fortunate to be able to ask those questions, that we have enough savings that I can hem and haw for a little while (but not long). But these existential questions don't have easy answers. And I've been stuck.

Transitions aren't often quick, and so here I am, staring down that fork in the road, scratched and bruised from falling down on the trail. But I haven't given up. I'm still on the journey.

I mixed my metaphors with the journey and the dominoes, I know. But that's because I'm changing the story. From thinking of it as dominoes that fall, and therefore not under my control, I'm walking on a path. I'm choosing where to go. I like that narrative much better. And if I'm not in charge of my own story, who is?

I'm journeying on.

No comments:

Post a Comment